Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Madagascar Escape 2 Africa

The Pitch: Basically, Madagascar with a classic 180 reversal. Rush Hour 1 and 2 follow the same principle. Now that I think of it, both Madagascar and Rush Hour got to Europe for the third movie...

What Took Me So Long: I hadn't seen the first, so this was a non-starter.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is arguably the most successful animated franchise of the past decade (maybe Ice Age would disagree) and I can see why. The formula is there with the good voice actors and plenty of material to riff off. I assume kids love the penguins more than I do which is why they are so prominent in the movie. When you told me that Bernie Mac was voicing someone's parent, I would've assumed it would be Rock's Marty. Apparently though, I'm racist. And, honestly, the zebras did all look the same to me, so this movie was very revealing.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's animated movies with depth and a range of audience and then there's animated movies that play to kids and maybe don't annoy parents. This is certainly in the latter category. You can either fault them for that or accept it. I accept it but also have no intent to ever see this again. I got the full effect with the first movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment