Saturday, August 9, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Robots

The Pitch: You know how people talk about people being cogs in one big machine? What if we make it really subtle and make them robots.

What Took Me So Long: I thought for a long time that this was a lame duck Disney Animation production. It turns out that it is from the Ice Age people with Fox. Makes more sense that way.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Mostly, it is funny for an animated movie. There's something so fun about when animators and writers have an idea that they seem excited about exploring as fully as possible. This movie is packed with small jokes that are all wordplay (the baby being delivered, for instance). None of it should be examined too closely, nor is it intended to be.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's a lot of very universal messages that a movie can have that could never be called political. This is one that's less far removed. Perhaps if I agreed with the angle, I'd be more favorable about the movie. I've grown tired of people doing "big business is evil" metaphors. I won't disagree that absolute power can corrupt absolutely. Whenever movies go after that though, they always make this assumption that big businesses are big because they are big and always will be and there's nothing anyone can do if they force you to do something. To bring it back to this movie, it makes no sense that only one company can supply replacement parts and upgrades. That killed my investment in the plot. I'll stop there, because it's no fun to listen to me ranting about philosophy regarding what's probably a smaller part of the plot than I thought it was.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment