Friday, August 29, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Ali

The Pitch: Will Smith wants an Oscar. Denzel already got The Hurricane. Let's see what Will can do with Ali.

What Took Me So Long: I'm not sure. I'd see enough bits and pieces of it that I didn't have a strong pull to see it in full.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Will Smith is very good in this. I'd argue he was more deserving of the Oscar than Denzel Washington was for Training Day. The movie does a good job of hitting a lot of the big beats of Ali's career and does justice to the Rumble in the Jungle. It even does a good job presenting the rope-a-dope strategy as something new or surprising.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It tried to cover to much story. I appreciate the attempt to do a biopic that covers his career, it's simply too eventful to do it without leaving some significant pieces out. I mainly noticed this in how he jumps from wife to mistress to wife constantly when, honestly, it doesn't even matter to the story that much. The whole thing left me wondering how much was left on the editing room floor.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment