Thursday, August 7, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Con Air

The Pitch: Convicts on a plan. Let me repeat: Convicts! On a plane!

What Took Me So Long: Nic Cage with flowing long hair and a bunch of cartoon villains. What's not to love?^

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'm always for a good, fun, big action movie. It's one of those movies that thinks it can pull off a line like "With your military skills, you are considered a deadly weapon" in a legal proceeding. I assumed this would be completely over the top, and still, I underestimated it. I was surprised to see the director of this followed it with The General's Daughter which is My Dinner with Andre by comparison.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: When a movie is this over the top, I appreciate a little more winking to the camera. Simon West also directed The Expendables 2 which, while not a "good" movie, understood what it was a lot better. The group of cons basically come straight out of Arkham Asylum they are so over the top. Everything is played straight though. A slightly different tone and I'd've liked this significantly more.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment