Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Yogi Bear

The Pitch: What's a property we have the rights to that we haven't made into a movie yet? Yogi Bear? Ok, put something together.

What Took Me So Long: If they are only going to put a half effort into making the movie, I'm only putting a half effort into seeing it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's an amiable movie. 90 minutes of Justin Timberlake doing his Boo Boo voice is worth it by itself. That's not to say he did a bad job. I just think it's funny to picture him doing the voice. We don't see enough of Dan Aykroyd these days so this was a close enough substitution. Tom Cavanagh is a likeable guy even if he's not a movie star type. Anna Faris has virtually made a career out of being better than whatever movie she is cast in. There's a lot of likeable elements to this.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's an intentionally simple story. There's not much humor that is only meant for the adults to pick up on. In fact, I find it hilarious that a song like "Baby Got Back" has been neutered so much by cultural shifts of the last 20 years that it can be included in a movie like this. By my estimation, that means "Me so Horny" will be in the Tweety Bird movie within 5 years. I can't wait.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment