Friday, August 8, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Drinking Buddies

The Pitch: Pretty hipsters longing for one another.

What Took Me So Long: Nothing. I saw it the second I had a chance.

Why I Saw It: Anna Kendrick. Jake Johnson. Olivia Wilde. Ron Livingston. Jason Sudeikis. That's a cast that gets my attention. Johnson plays a dirtier Nick Miller. You could say that's a lack of range, but it's a largely dramatic performance which was refreshing. I sensed he had this kind of depth after Safety Not Guaranteed. I had no idea Olivia Wilde could be this good though. That was a pleasant surprise. It's a very subdued movie where none of the big moments are played that way, such as Kendrick and Livingston's kiss or Wilde getting in bed with Johnson. It's a sad movie but an honest one.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: 'Hipster' is a bit rough. Working at an independent brewery doesn't help the argument though. I'd say my only problem with it is my problem with a lot of indie movies. It's more or a snapshot that a story. My cousin once described it as being like watching a short story rather than a novel. I liked it for what it is and I think the ending is the best one possible for what the movie was trying to say. Still, there's a part of me that says, "yeah, and?". I'm glad to have seen it, although unless I find myself in this same situation and need a way to cope, I can't say I have any plans to go back and watch this again.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment