Thursday, August 21, 2014

Emmy Picks: Lead Acting

With the Emmys less than a week away, I better make my picks. Next up: Lead Acting. The way this works is I've put each nominee in order from who I think is most likely to win to least likely. My personal favorite is listed as such and I've included the biggest snub from the category last. Simple enough, especially for the couple of you who have read these before.

Previously...
Emmy Predictions - Writing
Emmy Predictions - Directing
Emmy Predictions - Supporting Acting

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
[My Favorite] Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep - "Crate") (HBO) This is a stacked field but I'd be foolish to pick against the reigning two-time winner for her best season yet.

Taylor Schilling (Orange Is the New Black - "The Chickening") (Netflix) Orange is the wildcard. Despite her not being the top of this field, momentum might just get Schilling the win.

Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation - "Recall Vote") (NBC) Between SNL and Parks & Rec. she has been nominated the last seven years. Emmy voters obviously like her and she's been robbed a few times. Eventually she has to win...Right?

Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly - "Mind Over Molly") (CBS) Former winner (2011), Emmy darling (6 nominations in 4 years), box office champ, Oscar nominee. She's always a threat.

Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie - "Super Greens") (Showtime) Former winner (2010), Emmy darling (12 nominations, 4 wins). Again, always a threat.

Lena Dunham (Girls - "Beach House") (HBO) Look, she's enormously talented and I'd pick her over a lot of people, but her show just got shut out of directing, writing, and series nominations. She's losing Emmy favor.

Biggest Snub: Emmy Rossum (Shameless) (Showtime) As long as that show is on the air and she doesn't get nominated, it will be a glaring mark of the Emmy voters' lack of credibility.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory - "The Relationship Diremption") (CBS) First of all, I called this as his Emmy submission as soon as I saw it. This is the exact kind of episode he's won before with: drunk, major physical comedy, a touch of emotion. There's so little competition in this category that he's nearly a lock.

[My Favorite] Louis C.K. (Louie - "Model") (FX) The Emmys love C.K. but mostly as a writer. Playing himself in a show that he writes and directs isn't seen as terribly hard, by their standards, I guess. Still, he's the only one putting up a fight against Parsons.

Ricky Gervais (Derek - "Episode 6") (Netflix) He's a former winner (2007) when no one saw it coming (on Extras). A win for Derek wouldn't be a complete shock.

William H. Macy (Shameless - "Lazarus") (Showtime) Of the many Showtime men nominated, he's the only one without a history of losing yet.

Don Cheadle (House of Lies - "Wreckage") (Showtime) If the movie star sheen didn't get him a win yet then it's too late.

Matt LeBlanc (Episodes - "Episode Six") (Showtime) If someone is going to win for playing himself, it will be C.K.

Biggest Snub: Andy Daly (Review) In a category this weak, it's sad that good performances still get overlooked. This is an incredibly low profile show, so I understand why it was overlooked. The little I've seen of the show and the rave reviews I've heard for it tell me that Daly should be on the list (and could've won).

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
[My Favorite] Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife - "The Last Call") (CBS) I've heard so many great things about this season. There's Danes fatigue, Wright chose the wrong episode, and Washington was too busy hiding a pregnancy. It's time for the former winner (The Good Wife in 2011 and ER in 1995) to rise again.

Claire Danes (Homeland - "The Star") (Showtime) Maybe the Emmy voters have tired about everything on Homeland except Danes. That would hardly be a bad thing.

Robin Wright (House of Cards - "Chapter 26") (Netflix) The season two finale is a fine episode for her and still might be enough, but how could she not pick the episode with her interview? That could've sealed it.

Kerry Washington (Scandal - "The Fluffer") (ABC) - Popular show and it's held together by the lead. She has an it factor but the show still feels too slight to push her through.

Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex - "Pilot") (Showtime) I could be way off here because people rave about Caplan in this. I just don't see it happening.

Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey - "Episode One") (PBS) That's cute that she's still nominated.

Biggest Snub: Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) (BBC America) I haven't seen the second season, but if Maslany is even half as good as she was in season one then this is a considerable snub.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Matthew McConaughey (True Detective - "Form and Void") (HBO) I've been going back and forth on this. If Cranston didn't already have the three wins (2008, 2009, 2010), I'd lock him in here for a record-tying fourth win. McConaughey is so good, uses a great submission episode, just won an Oscar, and has never been bigger.

[My Favorite] Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad - "Ozymandias") (AMC) Cranston would be my pick and there's still a decent chance he could win. I'd put this as a 50/40/10 split between McConaughey, Cranston, and the field.

Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom - "Election Night, Part II") (HBO) He did win last year although he had a helluva speech that got him the win. This season gave him nothing that juicy.

Kevin Spacey (House of Cards - "Chapter 26") (Netflix) I thought he was the dark horse last year and I was wrong.

Jon Hamm (Mad Men - "The Strategy") (AMC) Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. As nice as it would be to see that win, I've accepted that it'll never happen. At least not this year.

Woody Harrelson (True Detective - "The Locked Room") (HBO) It is unfathomable that someone from True Detective could win and it not be McConaughey and that's not meant as a dig at Harrelson.

Biggest Snub: Matthews Rhys (The Americans) (FX) Make no mistake, Keri Rusell would be my pick for Lead Actress if Maslany didn't have slightly more of a case against being snubbed. I wanted to pick someone from Hannibal, but Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy cancel each other out to much. In Rhys' defense, watch "Martial Eagle" and explain to me why he shouldn't be on the list over...well...this is a stacked field. I'd like to petition for room for a seventh nominee.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
[My Favorite] Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Coven) (FX) In a category this dull, I assume Lange will take another win and it'll be deserved.

Sarah Paulson (American Horror Story: Coven) (FX) I think this isn't going outside the Coven.

Helena Bonham Carter (Burton & Taylor) (BBC America) She has name recognition and a couple prior nominations. Never a win.

Minnie Driver (Return to Zero) (Lifetime) I mean, she got a nomination for The Riches in 2007. This is a Lifetime movie though.

Cicely Tyson (The Trip to Bountiful) (Lifetime) 10 nominations and 2 wins going back 40 years. Very little success with the Emmys lately though.

Kristen Wiig (The Spoils of Babylon) (IFC) She was a favorite for a nomination in her SNL days. This nomination was enough of a surprise. A win would be a bit much.

Biggest Snub: Holliday Granger (Bonnie & Clyde) (A&E) I don't actually believe this pick, but it's a thin field, this is the only thing I actually saw, and she was pretty good in it.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Mark Ruffalo (The Normal Heart) (HBO) The Mini-Series/Movie debate will come down to which one is a winner and which one is a nominee. The Normal Heart looks like an Emmy winner. Fargo looks like an Emmy nominee.

[My Favorite] Billy Bob Thornton (Fargo) (FX) If Thorton and Freeman don't cancel each other out, Thorton has the showier performance.

Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock - "His Last Vow") (PBS) Cumberbatch's star keeps rising and that could help him here.

Martin Freeman (Fargo) (FX) It's unlikely that voters look past Thorton on Fargo.

Idris Elba (Luther) (BBC America) I'm just happy the Emmys aren't ignoring him any more.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (Dancing on the Edge) (Starz) Wait, I'm not racist for putting the two black actors as least likely to win, am I? This has more to do with Dancing on the Edge being on Starz.

Biggest Snub: James Roday (Psych: The Musical) (USA) Fuck off. It's my list and I wanted a place to mention Psych: The Musical  because I like Psych and I like musicals. Give this man a nomination for milking 8 seasons out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment