Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Green Lantern

The Pitch: Seriously guys, we've got to find something other than Batman and Superman that we can make into a movie!

What Took Me So Long: Budget bombs scare me. What I mean is, when a movie is only considered a "bomb" because it cost so much to make (this made $100+ million in the box office, after all) that the studio couldn't recoup the costs, I worry.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I knew it couldn't be as bad as the pop culture jabs made it sound. I'd say the biggest thing working against it is the number of miscalculations in it. The cast looks like a superhero cast. I've always thought that Ryan Reynolds would make a great super hero. He's got snark, charm, and the body for one. Blake Lively may not have range, but she fits the bill as someone who's looks and job title don't quite match up. There's end of the world stuff happening, an origin story, self-aware jokes about the ridiculousness of superheroes. Everything is technically there.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: But, as I said it's the miscalculations that ruin it. The biggest one being that they tried to make a Marvel movie. Something you can always say about Batman and Superman movies is that they can never be confused with Marvel. They have very different looks and styles. Also, Green Latern is a tough sell. What works for him in the comics (I assume, having never read the comics) look stupid in the movie. Like, what was that helicopter on a Hot Wheels track? I know it was supposed to show his lack of understanding of his powers but instead of funny, it looked cheesy. It also doesn't help that Hector is the least intimidating villain I think I've ever seen. And, can we please retire the "being human perceived as a weakness and then revealed as a strength" trope? I don't care who started it. It needs to stop.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment