Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Cape Fear

The Pitch: Martin Scorsese and Robert de Niro are on board to - oh, that's all you needed to hear?

What Took Me So Long: I've taken my time to get through Scorsese's films because it's always nice to know I have another one waiting for me if I need.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Robert de Niro is delightfully menacing in this (apparently an opinion shared by the Academy).  I wouldn't call this a standard Scorsese movie but it's a good example of his versatility. I'm reminded of two things about Juliette Lewis watching this: 1) She can be really good when given the right material and 2) she has been around for a LONG time, especially considering she's barely 40.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I spent a little too much of the movie thinking "I don't think this could really play out like that". I get that this exists in a heightened reality but it got to the point that I felt the direction and acting were saving the writing rather than improving upon it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment