Thursday, August 7, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Ghost & The Darkness

The Pitch: Let's make an exciting version of Out of Africa that isn't so concerned with people falling in love.

What Took Me So Long: I'm not sure anything in Hollywood has ever gotten a movie set in Africa right. It always comes off as a little exploitative and takes a simplistic view of the culture.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) So, Val Kilmer is a man who loves Africa and wants to build a bridge. Naturally, Lions want to kill him...I think I missed the part early on when they explain what he did to get "The Ghost & The Darkness" (which is as cool a name for lions as I've ever heard) after him, but I assume it was something that had to do with African Voodoo and all that. The movie is exciting enough. After The Lion King, someone really needed to knock lions down a few pegs and this was the movie for it.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I can't take Michael Douglas dressed like this seriously. Is he actually designed to look like safari hunters from that time? Whatever. That's a stupid gripe. I've been oscillating between loving and hating the dream scene when Simba took down Emily Mortimer. My first impulse was laughter when I saw it. That can't be a good thing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment