Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Not Fade Away

The Pitch: It's be like Nowhere Boy but about someone no one has ever heard of.

What Took Me So Long: I get sad when I hear that a brilliant TV show-runner makes a movie with mixed reviews.

Why I Saw It: The Sopranos is undeniably great TV so I'll always be curious to see what David Chase can do no matter the medium. The story is a pretty common one. It seems like every couple of years someone tries to do a movie about the 60s from the eyes of someone not famous. John Magaro hits every note a 60s rebellious youth is supposed to. I've been curious about Bella Heathcote since seeing her in Dark Shadows...still curious now. Not convinced (of what, I'm not sure). James Gandolfini was not markedly different from the dad on The Wonder Years, but I like both performances.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: You know when you are watching a movie that seems to be building to something, reaches a point where it realizes it can't get there then sort of abruptly ends? Yeah. That happened here. What was that ending, by the way, with the sister and her talking about her paper, then dancing? That is outright the kind of thing that makes people laugh at art movies for being ridiculous. Still, I think I liked it. I'm not sure why, but it kind of worked in a way I don't understand.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment