Sunday, August 24, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Cocktail

The Pitch: You know those bartenders that take too long to prepare your drink because they are showing off how well they can toss bottles around? Let's do a whole movie about them.

What Took Me So Long: Hmm, who would I not be chomping at the bits to see a movie about an aspiring yuppie who detours with a job as a bartender?...

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Say what you will about Tom Cruise but he's always had movie star presence and that carries him through this. Elisabeth Shue is also one of those actresses who I liked and was big for a while, then, through bad choices and Hollywood casting unkind to aging women, kind of went away. It's nice to see her in her babysitter prime.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This movie is all over the place. At times, quite literally. I kind of can't believe how much plot they tried to stuff into this. Cruise is in business school, then casually goes from being a shitty bartender to the best one in New York in a matter of months, has a fallout, goes to the Caribbean, meets a girl, messes that up, comes back to New York, there's a pregnancy involved and proving himself to the girl's father, and a friend's suicide. It's such a busy movie and I'm not actually sure what it's about by the end.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment