Saturday, August 16, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Horton Hears a Who

The Pitch: You know how annoying the Cat in the Hat movie was? Well, we think we determined the problem: It wasn't animated.

What Took Me So Long: I'm always worried with a Seuss adaptation that too much effort will be spent making it rhyme.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It couldn't be any worse than The Lorax, right? I enjoyed the Bruce Almighty reunion of Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell (there's been a couple of those at this point. I wonder if they're friends). Hey, they also got Carol Burnett. That's either a coup or she was bored. The movie also captures the spirit of Doctor Seuss well. I would like to see what they do with something like Yertle the Turtle.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on this. Horton spends the whole movie saying that just because you can't see or hear something , you should still believe it, which sounds like horrible reasoning. As it turns out, he was in the right, but it is so bad the other characters insist on some evidence? Can't say I was comfortable with the fact that the one son is the only of the Mayor's children that matter. I'm less forgiving of something like that in a kids movie. On the other hand, it did have some interesting things to say about politics and influencing the masses with the mayor's struggle to cancel the who-centenial. I'd have to go back and read the book to see how much I blame the screenwriters or Seuss for these things. I'll go ahead and say Seuss had more tact regardless though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment