Monday, August 18, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Brother Bear

The Pitch: So, people dug that Pocahontas stuff and talking animals are our bread and butter. Let's combine those.

What Took Me So Long: More than any movie, this one signified the end of the Disney Renaissance for me simply because it was the first one I remember thinking "who cares?".

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) After seeing Frozen, I got interested in catching up on Disney Animation's efforts in the 00's, which I'd previously looked at as the "Pixar Era". None of the movies have been bad. This one is a bit darker than I was accustomed to which was refreshing. I liked Koda although a character like that is almost a cheat for Disney because they do them so well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I feel vindicated for looking at this movie the way I have for years. First of all, I wasn't a fan of the animation. It could look pretty at times, but it normally looked messy and at times, unfinished. The side characters, such as Tuke and Rutt were too overtly there for comedic effect. Did they have any use beyond cutting the tension? I also don't buy that a movie that is all about brotherhood ends with the lead opting to leave his  actual human brother for his figurative brother. And I won't even broach the topic of who would choose being a bear over being a human.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment