Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Forver Young

The Pitch: Captain America without the super powers.

What Took Me So Long: Whenever I came across this title, I thought of the song (which, by the way, wasn't even used in the movie. Why even make it then?).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Placed squarely between the Lethal Weapon movies, Maverick, and Braveheart this movie is from my favorite period of Mel Gibson's career (basically, after his heartthrob days and before his hating Jews phase). I like seeing John Wendt show up, presumably because John Goodman was busy making King Ralph or something. And, it's always nice to be reminded how long Elijah Wood has been acting. Seriously, while he's not always going to be Frodo, the Lord of the Rings movies really wiped out my memories of him before 2001.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I don't like when a movie takes itself more seriously than anyone watching it could. It's a movie that has some fun with putting someone from the past in the modern day because that's always good for a few easy laughs and there's a couple poignant moments about missed opportunities. The whole time though, you can see Mel Gibson thinking "this'll be good for an Oscar, or at least a Golden Globe nomination" when it's quickly obvious from the final cut that it never had a chance at that.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment