Sunday, August 24, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Running Man

The Pitch: It'll be like a violent Network

What Took Me So Long: It's hard not to feel like if you've seen one 80s Schwarzenegger movie, you've seen them all. This fell victim to that apathy.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There's always room in my heart for a good dystopia. This is not a subtle movie in the least, but unlike Network, I enjoyed the point they were trying to make, I think because it focuses more on the public being manipulated against their judgment as opposed to being the ones driving the madness. In other words, the audience enjoyed The Running Man, sure, but they are quick to embrace Arnold's character because they are presented as having some thought, as opposed to Network, which treats people as having essentially no power in anything and presents them as little more than a mob.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's sad watching a movie like this trying to predict future technology. It is hard to not be distracted by analog approximations of digital advancements.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment