Friday, August 22, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Greenberg

The Pitch: You know that 40 year old guy at a party who depresses you to see hanging out with 20-somethings? Let's make a movie about him.

What Took Me So Long: I always heard about how Ben Stiller comes off as a jerk in this and I wasn't in the mood to be uncomfortable for 90 minutes.

Why I Saw It: I've fallen hard for Greta Gerwig after seeing Frances Ha so it looks like I'll be moving back through her career to catch up on what I've missed. She definitely seems to be one of those actresses who plays similar characters although she does it very well. Ben Stiller takes an impressive turn as well. Greenberg isn't likable but he's not some horrible person. He just has very pointed flaws and they ruin everything.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Movies like this are why I've had such a hard time remember the difference between Juno Temple and Brie Larson! In all seriousness though, this has basically every actor in the indie scene (if there is one) at some point. As a character study it works really well. Honestly though, I'm a plot guy. It doesn't have to be one or the other. The end result is a movie I can't dislike for things it did wrong because it opted to avoid them altogether. that makes is hard to love it either.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment