Saturday, August 23, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Boomerang

The Pitch: Eddie Murphy is so charming. I wonder what women he'll end up with? Let's throw a bunch at him and see what sticks.

What Took Me So Long: At some point in the 90s Eddie Murphy stopped being someone I care to see as the lead in a movie.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Murphy is always high energy. I don't believe he's ever had the desire to do subtlety and I kind of appreciate that. He has good chemistry with either of the female leads (Robin Givens or Halle Berry, who I barely recognized). There's a few good jokes scattered in. I know I laughed out loud at the end of the scene in the store when he scared the white people.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's a smugness to Eddie Murphy at the height of his popularity that wears against me. He can get by with it in Beverly Hills Cop or 48 hrs. Those are buddy-cop movies. He is very much front and center here and writing a movie about how he is a great womanizer is a tad self-aggrandizing. Isn't a bad movie by any means. It's not a side of Murphy I'd like to see more of.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment