Saturday, August 23, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Deja Vu

The Pitch: We want to make Timecop but really play down the science fiction aspect.

What Took Me So Long: I felt like I'd seen it before.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Denzel Washington has always been a capable leading man and he brings a good mix of good guy charm and investigator's curiosity to this. The story is clever enough that it kept my interest most of the way through.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: While there is some cleverness, it's very clear that at some point the screenwriter or the editor said "fuck it. Make it work somehow" because all the clues about how Denzel went back in time are there but with some major logical flaws. If all the clues match up, how does the girl (Paula Patton) survive? Did I miss where there was some major change to the space-time continuum, because every move he makes seems to inevitably lead to the same end that began his investigation. I could attack the fuzzy science of the movie to begin with but I think one of the fundamental rules of "high concept" is the conceit that you accept a major logical leap or two.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment