Thursday, August 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Patriot Games

The Pitch: Tom Clancy has a lot of these Jack Ryan books. We should probably make more of them into movies. They lend themselves pretty well to this medium.

What Took Me So Long: I don't see the appeal of the Jack Ryan series, as movies at least.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'll watch nearly anything with Harrison Ford before 2000ish. That goes double for action movies with him. Fighting Irish terrorists seems like a perfect 1992 idea.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It wasn't that long ago that I saw Blown Away, and this didn't strike me as all that different. The tone of the movie was a little strange. It had the feel of being several movies into a franchise with an established character, not the second movie and the first time with that actor playing the lead. Do we really know the character well enough to understand when he wants to stay out of the CIA so badly?

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment