Thursday, August 7, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Great Outdoors

The Pitch: Dan Aykroyd and John Candy are funny doing outdoor-sy things.

What Took Me So Long: These aren't two actors who I've worked hard to get through their catalogs and this is not one that is usually mentioned for either.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I can't place how this is different than Grown Ups, but it is, and I liked it better. I think it was the anarchy of it all. Both movies are essentially a collection of short films about families doing stuff outdoors, but Grown Ups ends each story with a life lesson (Ex. "Oh, we shouldn't make fun of Rob Schneider's old wife"). The Great Outdoors doesn't do that as much. And, don't let me forget the raccoons with subtitles. Check and mate!

Why I Wish I Hadn't: While most of the movie is chuckle-worthy, I only actually laughed once or twice. For a movie that exists to get a lot of laughs, that's a little disappointing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment