Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Delayed Reaction: In the Loop

The Pitch: So, Armando Iannucci wants to do The Thick of It as a movie, with just as much pretty swearing. I think that is all we need to say.

What Took Me So Long: I attempted this a few years ago and realized I needed to be a lot more attentive to follow it. I also assumed I'd need to watch The Thick of It to appreciate it.

Why I Saw It: I've grown to love Veep and Armando Ianucci is a name I've been hearing a lot for the way he peppers his dialogue with delicious profanity (and words in general). This absolutely delivers on that promise. Another big incentive was to see the the Malcolm Tucker character that made Peter Capaldi known before becoming the next Doctor and that is a fun character. Really, the whole movie is fun and funny. It has the feel of a long episode of a TV show, which normally bothers me. It didn't in this case. Still not sure why.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It is still a little hard to follow if you are not totally tuned in which is a damn-near impossibility when I'm watching something on Netflix (which was the case for this). I appreciate when a movie asks something of the audience but it's nicer when it can be appreciated on more levels than "completely locked in". I realize most of this is on me. I really need to watch The Thick of It now.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment