Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Death Becomes Her

The Pitch: Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep play out a modern fable about aging in Hollywood.

What Took Me So Long: I'd seen enough of it for it to not quite belong on my "Movies I need to see" list but also not be considered a "Movie I've seen". Purgatory sucks, am I right?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is such a delightfully twisted movie. The morale of the story is about a blunt as you get but it's pretty much perfect Zemekis: funny and original. They manage to do a lot with a cast basically limited to Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis, and occasionally Isabella Rossellini. Meryl can make anything work, can't she?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not sure if the effects looked bad back in '92 but they don't hold up too well by today's standards. That is part of the charm of watching it now. I suppose you could say it takes a simple story and stretches it out a lot (perhaps too much), but it does it in an entertaining way, so I didn't mind. Such a strange and enjoyable movie.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment