Saturday, August 2, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Fred Claus

The Pitch: What if Santa Claus had a brother?

What Took Me So Long: I've been burned before with Vince Vaughn Christmas movies.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There's a number of good gags inherent to the premise. My favorite was the famous brother support group. Kids probably missed most of the humor in that but I liked it. Rachel Weisz got to use her actual accent. That was a nice surprise. I'd've assumed she'd be forced to American it up. Also, Elizabeth Banks was really hot as an elf. Is that weird?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: When Christmas movies try too hard, it gets really exhausting to watch. They had to work a bit too much to make this work. From the Claus clause about family members of saints freezing in age, to Fred's intricate trip to get to the North Pole on his own, to the Naughty/Nice paper work, there's so much of this that is working on explaining how this works. I think the movie's most direct comparison is Elf which is unfortunate for it because Elf is funnier and works a lot easier.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment