Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Four Christmases

The Pitch: Christmas. Romantic comedy. Aren't families crazy? I know, right?

What Took Me So Long: Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon's height disparity deeply unsettles me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) "Christmas comedy" is not a very demanding sub-genre. Vince Vaughn is doing his thing, as is Reese Witherspoon. I like what both of them do. Pretty much every supporting character is exactly what you expect them to be. Jon Voight, Sissy Spacek, and Robert Duvall make this the best cast of 1975. These days, it doesn't mean much. 

Why I Wish I Hadn't: What do you want me to say? It's a very forgettable movie. It's Christmas with the Kranks. It's I'll Be Home For Christmas. It's Survivng Christmas. It's Deck the Halls. There's one almost every year. The DNA is the same. There's a lot of pratfalls and farce. It has a lot of people who you liked a lot better in other movies. And, happy ending. This is hardly a chore to get through but I also didn't laugh at any point.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment