Sunday, December 29, 2013

Delayed Reaction: I Give It a Year

The Pitch: You see, sometimes getting a divorce isn't a bad thing. Here's why...

What Took Me So Long: Quite frankly, I don't know why it would be assumed that I would ever see this.

Why I Saw It: It has Rose Byrne and Anna Faris. That's enough to catch my interest. Has Anna Faris ever played the best friend in a comedy before? I can't remember a time when she wasn't the lead in a movie like this. It was strange to see. So, apparently, the writer director of this has written a lot of Sacha Baron Cohen products and that comes through a lot. There's a bluntness to nearly everything. The Stephen Merchant character could only exist with material that allows him to be simply repugnant. Most of the best jokes as especially dark or uncomfortable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: At the end of the day though, it is still a painfully formulaic romantic comedy though. In this case, it is in reverse as the happy ending is the end of a marriage. Rose Byrne and Rafe Spall play two of the least likable romantic leads I've ever seen. Byrne is the typical overbearing wife and Spall is the "seen it a hundred times before" oaf of a husband. My biggest problem with the entire movie is that there is no way these two people get married in the first place. There are three picture at the beginning to explain how that happened and nothing else in the movies even tries to. With a foundation that shaky, no wonder the whole thing crashes down on itself.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment