Friday, December 6, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Colors

The Pitch: Old cop, new cop in L.A. gangland.

What Took Me So Long: I didn't know this movie existed and if I'd ever seen it on, I'd likely have changed the channel to TNT, which likely had Shawshank Redemption on.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's fascinating to see how something like the gang scene in L.A. has evolved in movies over time. I also recently saw End of Watch and the movies are not that different. The experience vs. youth angle between Robert Duvall and Sean Penn is certainly different and in some ways that could be its weakness because both seem to be playing parts more than characters.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I saw this a lot. I don't know what came before this movie, but I do know what came after and this movie covers very familiar topics that I've seen in everything from Training Day to End of Watch. It isn't substantially different from anything else like it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment