Sunday, December 15, 2013

Celebrity Death "Do I Care?" Index: Peter O'Toole

It's been barely two weeks since my inaugural "Do I Care?" Index. Luckily Sadly I have an excuse for another one. No accident this time. Just Hollywood royalty. No big deal, right? Let's break it down to find out.


Movies/Shows I Remembered Him In:
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - His first Oscar Nomination. Well, the odds of me finally getting around to see this just shot up.
Troy (2004) - I liked the movie. He was basically just the old king being stubborn.
Ratatouille (2007) - One of the biggest surprises in the Pixar library and O'Toole's Anton Ego had one of the best moments.
Stardust (2007) - At some point, his career reached "We need an old king" stage.
Venus (2007) - '07 was a good year for him. He got to be an animated critic, a fantasy world king, and an old guy crushing on a very young girl. His final Oscar nomination. Never won a competitive Oscar somehow.
The Tudors (2008) - Playing Pope is virtually the same as being a king.



Movies I Forgot He Was In:
Becket (1964) - His 2nd Oscar Nomination.
The Lion in the Winter (1968) - Another Oscar Nomination.
Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969) - The 60s were good to him. Oscar Nomination.
The Ruling Class (1972) - Hey, look. An Oscar Nomination.
The Stunt Man (1980) - Third decade with an Oscar Nomination.
My Favorite Year (1982) - Guess what? Oscar Nomination.
The Last Emperor (1987) - Nope. No Oscar Nomination. He wasn't a big part of the movie, but...you guessed it, won best picture at the Oscars.
King Ralph (1991) - I didn't realize he was in this 90s classic film movie. All the more reason to see it, as if John Goodman wasn't enough.
And a bunch of others. The man was old and has been working since the 50s.

Movies That He Was Still Working On:
Mary (2014) - I have no idea what this movie is. It doesn't look like they started filming yet, so the net result here is that his legacy is already cemented.

I know what you are thinking. That was an honorary Oscar though. Basically, a make-up call.

Any Other Reason I Should Care:
Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure that he was still alive until I found out he died, so...no. We lost the Susan Lucci of Oscar Nominations. No, she eventually won...like, over a decade ago. We really need to retire that reference. Let's try, he was the Angela Lansbury of the Oscars. What's that? Oh, some context. Lansbury had earned 18 Emmy nominations (12 for Murder, She Wrote alone) and never a win...I've gotten off topic. Time to make my decision.

Verdict: His death is unfortunate, not shocking. I'll reflect on his work some now, but he wasn't all that active in project that I care about anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment