Saturday, December 7, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Scrooged

The Pitch: Bill Murray does a modern rendition of A Christmas Carol.

What Took Me So Long: I have no idea. This is one I'd wanted to see for a while.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a funny movie. I was surprised that it holds up in that way as well as it does. There's something about the Christmas Carol story that, when done right, always warms my heart. It's probably all that self-reflection I have while watching it. The cast is top to bottom "hey, it's that guy from that thing" actors and they are well cast for it. I especially enjoyed Carol Kane's pixie Ghost of Christmas Present.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I always have a slight problem with movies that have commentary about what's on TV. It's the same problem I had with Network. There's some truth to the point they are trying to make but it's hardly like film is a higher-brow medium than TV. I know that's truer today than it was in 1988. Still, I find it to be lazy satire.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment