Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 - The Shows I Didn't Watch

I've exhausted going through my year in TV watching, ranking and examining the shows is a vain attempt to give meaning to all the time I'm spent sitting on my couch. There's so much good TV on, so many channels I don't have, so many shows that I found out about late. So, I decided to create one last top ten list: The best TV Shows that I didn't get to watch.


Boardwalk Empire
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have HBO and I'm several seasons behind.
Why I Need to Change That: Great cast and I hear that few shows build to a finale as well as this one.


Justified
Why I Didn't Watch It: Several seasons behind and it is too low on my "catch up list".
Why I Need to Change That: It's set in Kentucky (filmed in California, bleh). That's a good start. I understand that it has a strong rotation of actors and I'm a big Walton Goggins fan now that I've watched The Shield.


Orphan Black
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have BBC America.
Why I Need to Change That: Tatiana Maslany. I've heard countless times that she is fantastic in this. It doesn't hurt that I enjoyed her in the couple episodes of Parks & Rec. she did this fall.


The Returned
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have Sundance Channel
Why I Need to Change That: It's a different kind of zombie show. Actually, it sounds more similar to The 4400, with people in a small French town returning from the dead. It's an interesting premise and anything that is seen as good enough to air in America with subtitles is worth giving a try, I think.


Top of the Lake
Why I Didn't Watch It: Not sure. It's in my Netflix queue. I keep saving it for when I can promise it my full attention.
Why I Need to Change That: It has Elisabeth Moss. That's all I need. Strong reviews too. I barely know what it's even about. A murder investigation, I think,


It's Always Sunny...
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have FXX
Why I Need to Change That: It is consistently one of my favorite shows on TV. I think the past couple seasons have been some of their strongest which is remarkable for a comedy in its ninth season.


The League
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have FXX
Why I Need to Change That: While I don't like it quite as much as It's Always Sunny... it is the perfect companion show for it. It has one of those casts that show up all over the place (Mark Duplass as the Midwife on The Mindy Project immediately comes to mind) and make me like them more.


The Good Wife
Why I Didn't Watch It: I'm hopelessly behind on the show.
Why I Need to Change That: Everything I've heard is this is probably the show's best season yet and I'm running out of excuses for not watching it.


Portlandia
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have IFC for the initial run and I keep forgetting that the third season is on Netflix now.
Why I Need to Change That: I've loved the past two seasons enough to make me not hate Fred Armisen. There's no reason to think the third season will stop that trend.


Homeland
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have Showtime anymore.
Why I Need to Change That: The first season was great. The second season was good. I'm curious to see if it continues to falter.


Masters of Sex
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have Showtime anymore.
Why I Need to Change That: I've heard this is one of the best new shows of the fall. I like both Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan, so I'm instantly interested.

---

And there's so many I didn't include: Drunk History, Family Tree, Key & Peele, and a bunch of others I'm blanking on, not to mention the late night shows like The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Conan. The point is, there's a lot of great TV and I'm sad that I can't keep up with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment