Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Polar Express

The Pitch: Remember that picture book? Let's make a whole movie about it.

What Took Me So Long: I was afraid of the dead eyes I always heard about.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Despite itself, it seems to be rather firmly in the Christmas movie rotation over the past decade. Anything with this much Tom Hanks (I lost track of how many characters he was) can't be all bad. I was surprised by how quiet the movie is. It is clearly targeted with kids in mind but doesn't try to ramp up, well, everything about it. It is impressive restraint.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As much as I appreciated the quiet, it left the movie feeling dead a lot of the time. Even something like the hot chocolate song was oddly restrained. I finally appreciate what everyone meant about all the "uncanny valley" talk with the animation. The animation looks good except for the people who have those dead eyes and don't seem to move quite right. Oh, and I cannot express how distracting it was for me having the voice of Mandark in this. Normally, I'm forgiving, but that is such a cartoonish voice, it sounded wrong coming from a realistic character.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment