Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Movie Reaction: Grudge Match

Formula: Raging Bull + 33 years
                           or
                    Rocky 7


Why I Saw It: I try to see as much as I can this time of year and I had a couple free hours.

Cast: Sylvester Stallone is the de facto "good guy" as the famous boxer who walked away from a career in his prime. Robert De Niro isn't a Bond villain, but he is clearly the antagonist as Stallone's biggest rival in and outside the ring. Kevin Hart is a joke machine promoter's son who along with Alan Arkin (Stallone's trainer) are there for comedic relief when the script forgets to do anything funny with the leads. Kim Bassinger, still looking very good for someone older than my mom, is a surprisingly age appropriate love interest. Shane Jon Bernthal is very good casting as De Niro's estranged son.

Plot: This movie has all the tropes. All of them. Every last plot point you think could be here is: long lost son, former love returning, irresponsible man learns to accept the new responsibilities of family, loner learns to let people in, fighting for a mentor's health bills. All of them! The end result is something wholly generic which neither stars seems all that engaged in. There's a chuckle or two, mainly from Hart and Arkin. So much of the movie has a "kids, these days" attitude that turned me off.

Elephant in the Room: So is it a parody of their boxing movies? I wish I could tell you. There a lot of nods to their past movies. The Rocky referencing is most common. At the same time, this isn't really parody. The movie works hard to show that there's still dignity in these two older men doing this fight, and that's what they have to do, I guess. It sure didn't make it very interesting though.

To Sum Things Up:
This is far from the worst movie I've seen this year. It isn't all that funny. It isn't all that original. It isn't all that clever. Yet, it isn't all that bad. I can't recommend it to anyone who didn't already see Bullet to the Head and The Family in theaters. There's too many better options right now.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment