Friday, December 27, 2013

2013 - My Next 10 Favorite Shows

You've seen my top 10 from 2013. Time for the 10 that almost made it in.


11. The Middle
Favorite Episode "The Graduation"
This is the rare show that I like more with each season. I don't think any show on TV has as good a historian. Most episodes are rich with callbacks or details that I completely forgot about.


12. Happy Endings
Favorite Episode "The Marry Prankster"
R.I.P. This would probably break into my top 10 had the whole season aired in 2013. With only a handful of episodes, I couldn't justify putting one of the best joke machines on TV any higher. Now I get to have fun following where everyone moves to next. So far, Adam Pally is trying to fit in on The Mindy Project and Damon Wayans Jr. reprises the role that his job on Happy Endings forced him to quit as Coach on New Girl. Here's to hoping Elisha Cuthbert joins Parks & Rec. as Leslie's new best friend.


13. Hannibal
Favorite Episode "Roti"
I laughed off this show when I first heard about it. I mean, aren't there enough shows about serial killers on TV and to base this on the most famous fictional character of all. I'm glad I gave it a chance though. It's one of the darkest and prettiest shows on TV. Hugh Dancy proves that Claire Danes doesn't have all the crazy energy in that marriage and Mads Mikkelsen has done the unthinkable, creating a Hannibal Lector of his own, if not equaling Anthony Hopkins' then certainly coming close.


14. The Americans
Favorite Episode "In Control"
It's really a show about marital troubles with an 80s Soviet vibe. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys do a better job carrying this than I expected. The story manages to work inside actual events in history without feeling fettered by them. Look no further than the response to Reagan being shot for proof.


15. New Girl
Favorite Episode "Quick Hardening Caulk"
Season 2 ended so strong, ending with Nick and Jess deciding to date. I'll admit, I kept waiting for them to ruin that, but it never happened. Sadly, this has been held down by a very disappointing start to the third season. Hopefully the new year comes with a better focus for the season.


16. Archer
Favorite Episode "Fugue and Riffs" for the opening scene alone
The season couldn't've started off more brilliantly with the Bob's Burgers scene. Then, there was one of my favorite exchanges of dialogue all year:
"That is the third saddest thing I have heard all day."
"What are the other things?"
"Pam told me a story about a girl who drowned trying to save a puppy."
"Oh my god! What was the second saddest thing?"
"The puppy drowned, too. "
Other than that, it was a good season. As I've discussed before, I'm not sure this'll ever be a top tier show for me, although it's always in consideration


17. Cougar Town
Favorite Episode "Flirting with Time"
It turns out that the move to TBS didn't hurt at all. It's nice to still have the Cul-de-sac Crew around and I, for one, quite enjoyed the Target commercials that came along with the season.


18. Brooklyn Nine Nine
Favorite Episode "Old School"
Its young. It's messy. Andy Sanburg is still being calibrated. Still, this has the best new ensemble of the fall and is figuring itself out faster than any new comedy this year. I can't wait to see comes next.


19. The Big Bang Theory
Favorite Episode "The Closet Reconfiguration"
For all my whining about what this show isn't there's one thing that it is: funny. This is an ensemble that is in its late series stride. You can't find this kind of chemistry in any freshman series and the addition of Raj being able to speak to women sober has been a fresh new element to an aging formula.


20. Modern Family
Favorite Episode "Goodnight Gracie"
Another show that I complain about  but also wouldn't consider dropping. Its Emmy count doesn't match its quality. That doesn't mean it's bad though. The younger cast keeps getting more to do which I am all for. If they could just stop undercutting every human moment with a joke I could like it as much as I did in the first season.



No comments:

Post a Comment