Sunday, December 29, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Olympus Has Fallen

The Pitch: The {country we don't currently like}s take over the White House. Things explode.

What Took Me So Long: I had to hear second-hand whether is was worth seeing this or White House Down. When I found out the answer was neither, I opted to go chronologically.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) At first, I was excited that I'd get to see an Ashley Judd movie...so much for that. It's a moderately engaging premise, like the White House version of Air Force One, where the President is somehow gruff, brave, and in action movie hero shape. Koreans killed a puppy. That happened early. I assume this was to establish them as villains. It's good to see that rule of thumb is still as true as ever.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: First of all, I cannot compliment the CGI effects at all in this. A lot of the effects look like they upped the deadline for the effects by a month and took whatever the effects company had ready. It was distracting. This was also trope-tastic. Example: It's convenient that there's always an ex-Special Forces Patriot down on his luck whenever there's a takeover in movies like this.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment