Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Biloxi Blues

The Pitch: Ferris Bueller's Basic Training

What Took Me So Long: I like later Matthew Broderick much more than early (Ferris Bueller is the exception).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's written by Neil Simon and he is someone I pretend to know about when I want to sound intellectual. I was curious to see what, after reading the blurb on Netflix, sounded like a comedy version of the first hour of Full Metal Jacket. It is indeed a lighthearted movie that approaches some real emotion but pulls back when it could get too dark.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Lighthearted can be code for boring or forgettable. That's the case here. Despite Broderick's amiable performance and Christopher Walken's prickly one I have no intent to see this again.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment