Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Delayed Reaction: V/H/S

The Pitch: I have a bunch of ideas for a horror movie but not enough plot for any. I'll make them all and call it an anthology.

What Took Me So Long: I never learned how to watch horror movies correctly, so I'm a little hesitant.

Why I Saw It: I'd heard good things about it since its release in Sundance in 2012 and wanted to see how it was. Horror lends itself to the anthology structure better than any genre I know of because the scare is almost always more effective than the explanation. I'd say that all of these mini-movies navigate between having great scares without using too many cheap tricks (i.e. thinking that more blood means more scares) and having stories that linger with you. The four stories and the one it is structured around offer a good variety and none of them go on longer than they need to.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Beyond the fact that I started it after midnight while watching alone in the dark intending to go to sleep afterwards, I have no regrets from watching this.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment