Sunday, December 8, 2013

DVR Purge: 12/2-12/8

One last push until Christmas and there's a lull in the schedule. A lot of burn-off episodes this week with nothing jumping out at me.



Past Purges

HIMYM "Rehersal Dinner"
I repeat, I now think of this show as 30 Rock, not Friends, so I won't bother determining the plausibility of the big Ice Rink reveal. On a character level, it's harder to forgive. I'm done with all this writing Barney like a 5 year old, then revealing it as a ruse of some sort. I've stopped finding it at all clever. The episode had a couple of good bits, like the Wayne Gretzky signed photo callback and the background gag while the gang told all the Canada jokes. Oh, and how many weeks since we saw the Mother?

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Christmas"
Looks like we're back to Peralta and Holt hanging out a lot. This was nice because we had a much more competent Peralta which is better than man-child Peralta. Overall, this felt like a season stopping point. I'm not sure where this is in the production order. I wonder if it was the last of the initial batch of episodes made (the initial 13), because we got passable closure for several stories. Jeffords gets over his PTSD. Boyle saves Diaz and is given the smallest sliver of hope with her. If the show was cancelled after this week, it would be too soon, but a happy enough end. I am assuming with it being Christmas, that this is the last new episode we'll see in 2013.

The Mindy Project "Christmas Party Sex Trap"
I'm not going to disapprove of Maria Menounos being on my TV, although I will say, where Glen Howerton or the Duplass brothers is stunt casting for talent, she was there just because the wanted an attractive celebrity to sing "Santa Baby". Still a pretty good episode. I enjoyed the opening tag when Mindy gets the tree ("How Hindu are you?").

The Middle "The Kiss"
Poor Frankie and Mike. They literally don't know what to do with luxury. That's so sad for the Hecks. Then there's Axl. I sure hope this leads to Cassidy coming back for a few episodes because I like Galadriel Stineman and it would be odd for the show to bring her up out of nowhere, for a Boss Inc. reunion, no less.

Back in the Game "Massive Election"
A surprising amount of self-reflection going on this week. There's the conversation at the beginning about how he should quit trying so hard to impress Terry. Then, we get the guy seeing right through Gigi when she hits on him. Finally, there's Danny and why he doesn't want to be a leader. It's a shame it's not going anywhere since they only have an episode or two left.

Modern Family "The Big Game"

Cam wanting to win the game would've been a  lot funnier had it not been exactly the same as Manny's fencing tournament in the first season. The whole episode was a oddly disjointed for me. Did I miss when Haley and Dylan started dating again? Whatever. I like him being around. I could've done without Mitchell not being able to man up and quit his job to his boss' face.

The Big Bang Theory "The Discovery Dissipation"
This is pretty much my least favorite version of the characters. Sheldon is as insufferable as ever with the back and forth feelings about his discovery and refutation of said discovery. Raj is basically pathetic lonely guy and everyone else exist to use and abuse him. I just wasn't a fan of this episode.

The Crazy Ones "Models Love Magic"
I like the running joke about models loving magic. I burst out laughing at the end when Andrew pulls the scarf trick to keep the models in the building. Adrianne Lima has limited acting range, so they did what they could with her. The book club was a good touch, although a little familiar. I also really enjoyed the collection of distractions for Simon, including Angels, Harlem Globetrotters, and a disco ball.

SNL "Paul Rudd/One Direction"
The was a perfectly mediocre episode. By that, I mean there was very little to hate although there were no sketches a particularly liked. I think the Weekend Update was probably my favorite one. It's a little soon to be bringing back Jebidiah Atkinson though, isn't it? I like Paul Rudd. I'm not sure why they couldn't come up with anything great for him to do. Perhaps I need to be a tween girl to understand but One Direction looks weird, don't they? They are like foreign, suave hipsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment