Friday, December 13, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Sleepers

The Pitch: Men with troubled youths get revenge on one of their abusers and try to get away with it.

What Took Me So Long: I had my fill of courtroom dramas in the mid-90s.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The cast is good. You can't go wrong with De Niro, Bacon, Hoffman, Pitt, and others who I can't easily reference by just their last names. If nothing else, I can't say the movie does do the expositional legwork. Given the cast, I was surprised that it takes almost an hour to get out of childhood and move to the marquee players. De Niro is good throughout though so that keeps it steady.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: While I appreciated that the movie feels the need to show us how the boys grew up, what went wrong in their lives, how they were abused, and all that, it really stretched out this movie and it really drags at several points.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment