Monday, August 11, 2014

My Ten Favorite Robin Williams Performances

I'm at a loss for words. I really am. This celebrity death really bums me out. Michael Jackson was a shame, but in all honesty, I was never a big fan. Heath Leger died decades too soon and just as he was coming into his own. Philip Seymour Hoffman I respected greatly and always enjoyed his work. Countless celebrities die too young. I can't remember one that bothered me this much though.

He made me laugh. That's hard to shake. I don't want to believe that he would commit suicide, because nearly every memory I have of him was smiling, making people laugh. I don't want to dwell on it too much, but I'm going to have this on my mind either regardless. So, I figured the best use of my time, of course, is a list.

I haven't seen everything Robin Williams has ever done. There's some inexcusable gaps in what I've seen (Awakenings, Mork & Mindy, just about any Comic Relief). There's things I wish I remembered better (Good Morning Vietnam, Hook, Dead Again, The Fisher King). There's  World's Greatest Dad - which is too close to home right now. There's things I wish would've been better (Patch Adams, Man of the Year, The Crazy Ones). And yes, there's things I wish I hadn't seen (RV, Happy Feet, Old Dogs).
Here's my list of my ten favorite Robin Williams performances. I'm not going to rank them, because, I don't know. I just can't.


I'm not sure if World's Greatest Dad or Dead Poet's Society is a more uncomfortable movie to think about right now. I was still an infant when this came out and, for a long time, I looked at this as one of those movies "from when he was chasing that Oscar". Then I saw in college and regretted being so dismissive about it. I know he had already done Good Morning Vietnam before he did this movie, but Dead Poets Society is the movie that proved it wasn't a fluke. He was more than just a funny guy.

There's a popular story about how, while he was working on Schindler's List, Steven Spielberg would call Robin Williams, working on Aladdin at the time, whenever he needed cheering up. That's one of my favorite stories about Williams (and one that I hope isn't some internet myth) because that's how I like to think of him: a man who could cheer anyone up. The Genie was the first comic superstar of my childhood and the best vehicle for Williams' manic energy.

Let's be clear. This is a movie about a father who dresses up as an old woman in order to see his kids. That's a ridiculous movie, yet, because of how perfect Robin Williams is in it, it is one of the biggest comedies of all time and has permeated pop culture in a way that few movies ever have. I was torn about if I ever wanted to see them make the announced sequel, but I didn't want this to be the reason for them to stop.

It's not his greatest role. It's his biggest role. It's not his best movie. But, dammit, every time I think about drunken Dr. Kosevich announcing he'll crack open another bottle just as soon as he circumcises Hugh Grant's son, I can't help but crack a smile.

When was the last time you watched a movie as fun as Jumanji? It's a high concept movie done incredibly right. At times harrowing, at other times funny, at other times still, sweet. I'm so lucky to have been a kid for this phase of Robin Williams' career.

The movie is all farce, all over the top, and perfect for Robin Williams' comedy. There's not a subtle joke in this movie (ok, maybe a couple) and I wouldn't want it any other way. Also, Robin Williams with an accent is funny. It doesn't have to be any more complex than that.

Thank god that if Williams only got one Oscar that it was for playing Sean Maguire. Whether it's him telling Will about leaving Game 6 because he had "to go see about a girl" or simply explaining why Will could never appreciate art, Williams has never been better. I mean, in lesser hands, the "It's not your fault" scene would fall completely apart.

This is a personal favorite. It's one of my favorite dark comedies and Robin Williams is great in it as the obsessed and depressed Rainbow Randolph. I can't help it. I have to include some of my favorite lines.

Cop: Are you ok?
Randolph: I don't know. I'm kinda fucked up in general, so it's hard to gauge.

Randolph: First he takes my career, then my life, now my girl. The balls on that fuchsia fuck! I'm gonna tear him apart, piece by piece!

Randolph: You better grow eyes in the back of your head, you horned piece of shit, because I'm not gonna sleep until worms are crawling up your foam-rubber ass! I'm goin' on safari motherfucker! SAH-FAR-I!

Nora: We know you didn't kill Spinner so just cool your jets.
Randolph: Oh, thank you, Mother Teresa, why don't you tell that to the angry mob outside? They want my fucking ass. I'm like a god damn toaster at Macy's; Rainbow's ass - aisle three.

I'll stop there.


I can't talk about Robin Williams without mentioning Live on Broadway. Simply put, that is one of the funniest comedy sets I've ever seen. He is constant energy for all 99 minutes. I don't know how he doesn't pass out of exhaustion by the end. There's few things that I have ever quoted as much as this comedy special and all anyone ever has to say to get me laughing is "Fuck no! 18 FUCKING time!!!".

This is probably the least known of anything on the list and definitely the most recent. For those of you who haven't see it, in the episode, Louie and Robin are the only two people who go to an old comedy club owner's funeral. Afterwards they have a talk about the deceased that eventually leads them to a strip club that the guy frequented. It's quiet story and one with a darkly hilarious ending. I've never seen Robin Williams as calm as he is here and it is refreshing reminder of his range. As the two men go there separate ways, they make a pact...Oh, it's hard to even think about that part right now.


Well, I actually feel a lot better now. I'm still processing this tragedy and I'm sure it's going to linger with me for a while, but it's been nice going back and remembering why I liked him so much in the first place. I don't sincerity too well for long. I better stop here before I try to crack an ill-fitting joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment