Saturday, August 9, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Prince Avalanche

The Pitch: "Life is a high-Way. I wannna ride it. All. Night. Long!"

What Took Me So Long: It never sounded like the most exciting movie.

Why I Saw It: I like Paul Rudd and I'm coming to accept that I like Emile Hirsch. Considering 95% of the movie is them talking, that's a good place to start. Rudd is far less reliant on being charming which is a nice change of pace. Hirsch seems to be playing someone much younger than  he really is, which has always been the case his entire career. This was the first time I noticed it. The whole movie is the two of them painting highway lines in Texas after a fire in the 80s. I'm not sure how any of that plays into the story of the whole thing but the details do give a solid sense of time and place.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I don't get the movie in general. Especially the end. It's a very small movie and it has some things to say about relationships and all that. Hirsch's character is more frustrating than interesting. There are some fine grace notes with Rudd and it's a very sad character. I'd like to see that character in a movie that had more to do. This is certainly a case of a movie that is more short story than novel.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment