Sunday, August 31, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Rapture-Palooza

The Pitch: Let's do The Ten but for The Book of Revelations.

What Took Me So Long: The movie came with no press and is less than a year old. No much more I could've done to see it sooner.

Why I Saw It: I'll watch nearly anything with Anna Kendrick. Add in a lot of "actors from TV" that I love like Craig Robinson, John Francis Daley, and Ken Jeong. This is a stupid, stupid movie. It knows it as well as I do. I kept thinking of The Ten and Idiocracy the whole time I watched it. The plot plays like a writers room brainstorming session that got fleshed out to feature length. Some of the jokes are great, others are duds, and a few fall in the "so bad that it's funny" category (like the locusts that yell "suffer"). It's not too long, so there isn't enough time to wear the premise out too much. It's a good distraction movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not kidding when I say it's not a good movie. It's low budget. Most of the casting has the feel of someone doing a favor for the producer or that the joke is how little they are trying. There isn't much subtlety to any of it. I don't want to scare anyone away from it, but it's not a polished final product (nor does it want to be).

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment