Saturday, August 16, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Jacob's Ladder

The Pitch: We have Tm Robbins going insane for 90 minutes and we've found a really great way to maneuver around having it make sense.

What Took Me So Long: I didn't know what to make of the movie so I wasn't sure what kind of mood I needed to be in to watch it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The movie does a wonderful job of making it so that I had no idea what was going on for most of it, in a good way though. I wasn't missing anything. The movie just hadn't revealed everything to me yet. Tim Robbins is well suited for the role. He does intense quite well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not sure how I feel about the explanation of Robbins' psychosis. It reminded me a lot of Crimson Tide where there's a perfectly good movie in there that doesn't need a believable context and adding the blip at the end about how there's a fact that inspired this completely made up story story is like the screenwriter jumping in at the last second to say "see, I did some research". Either make it clear at the beginning what this is or don't bother. It's a small qualm, I'll admit.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment