Thursday, February 20, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Blown Away

The Pitch: Bombs + Irish terrorism = Box office Gold

What Took Me So Long: As much as I love Jeff Bridges, I haven't seen a lot of his backlog. I don't know why.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones in a game of cat and mouse using bombs. Why wouldn't I see this? No to mention Forest Whitaker...how many Oscar nominations and wins does that tally up to?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I could do without Jones' Irish accent. It wasn't bad, exactly. He's one of those actors who it is hard to see as anything other than Tommy Lee Jones, so when something like his voice is disguised, it's distracting. Perhaps I need to check out more of his older movies, but I've never seen Bridges as a traditional action movie lead. He can do shades of it, but when the same character could be played by Sylvester Stallone easily, it doesn't seem right. Then there's the suspense scenes. In particular, I'm thinking of when Suzy Amis if going around turning on everything in the house and it milks every second tension it can from something like the stove lighting. My only thought the whole time is "they're trying too hard to make this tense". That's basically the biggest problem throughout: it tries too hard and wastes a wealth of acting talent.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend


No comments:

Post a Comment