Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Save the Date

The Pitch: Let's get a lot of funny people for as not so funny movie about dating.

What Took Me So Long: If this was a comedy, I'd've seen it the first chance I had.

Why I Saw It: I like Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Martin Starr, and the others in this cast a lot. Caplan plays a good frustrated, indecisive 20-something in New York. Brie continues to remind me that no one is giving her a lead role and that's a crime.Geoffrey Arend is rawer than I've ever seen him before and does a better job with it than I expected. Starr always looks like he isn't paying attention which is sort of his thing and I like him for that. Then there's Mark Webber who could not be playing a better clone of Ethan Embry from Can't Hardly Wait if he tried. I liked a lot of what the movie had to say about relationships and how they can fall apart over time if you aren't careful or idealize them too much.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I am so tired of movies about people in their 20s who all have jobs as artists. I think it's Mindy Kaling who has a great rant about how many art galleries there can possibly be. I'd like it if the people in these movies had some normal, soul-sucking jobs. None of this living by myself in New York, working part time for a book store shit. It's a small thing that's starting to really bug me. This movie reeks of "indie movie" which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does fall into a lot of the common trappings.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment