Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Hick

The Pitch: Like Houndog without the rape. Ok, less rape.

What Took Me So Long: White trash makes me sad.

Why I Saw It: As much as I like Chloe Grace-Moretz, I can't think of anything I've seen with her as the perspective of the movie. She's been a lead, not the central character. That's not a commentary on this movie so much as an observation. A commentary would be if I said it's a shame this was the first time I saw her carry a movie, but I'll get to that. This has an odd and eclectic cast. It's one of those movies that I can't decide whether it is exaggerated madness or subtle effectiveness. I certainly wasn't intrigued enough to determine which. I know that I came away from this wondering if the whole thing was a story she imagined, that never really happened. Am I reading into it too much or did other people share this thought?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm leaning toward thinking it was exaggerated madness. Blake Lively and Eddie Redmayne do not pull off subtle rednecks. Mostly, I think I just don't approve of Alec Baldwin and Chloe Moretz working together after playing such great enemies is 30 Rock.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment