Monday, February 24, 2014

Oscar Prep: Foreign Film

I suck. I accept this. I'm a lazy, uncultured xenophobe and I get scared off by subtitles. I haven't seen any of these movies and I should've. That won't prevent me from making wild predictions about who will win though.

A couple notes first:
-Each category is arrange from Most to Least likely to win by my measure.
-An '*' before the title indicates a movie that I have seen.
-I'm trying to keep the shorthand to a minimum (get it). A couple that come up though are BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts), SAG (Screen Actors Guild), PGA (Producers Guild of America, WGA (Writers Guild of America), DGA (Directors Guild of America).


Other Picks

Best Foreign Language Film

Front Runner: The Great Beauty
Win: Golden Globe – Best Foreign Language Film, BAFTA – Best Foreign Film
Well, it won in the two major awards that have a Foreign Film category other than the Oscars. While hardly a binding contract, the odds are in its favor.

Dark Horse: The Hunt
Nominee: Golden Globe - Best Foreign Language Film, BAFTA – Best Foreign Film
When looking for a dark horse, the smartest play is to find who keeps losing to the presumed winner. The Hunt fits that bill as the only movie to lose to The Great Beauty at the BAFTAs and Golden Globes. Besides, it has TV's Hannibal Lecter and you don't want to be on his bad side.

Other Nominees:
The Broken Circle Breakdown
The Missing Picture
Omar

Look, I'm getting at tired of having nothing to say about half the nominees as you are. Once we get to the nominees that the average person cares about I'll be able to order this by something other than what has the coolest name.

No comments:

Post a Comment