Monday, February 17, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Happy Feet

The Pitch: Dancing penguins. Dancing penguins. Dancing penguins! Environmentalism!!!

What Took Me So Long: I don't get all the penguin love in the world. They are fine, I guess, but I'm actively indifferent to them.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) When a movie has so many different people with so many different things they love or hate it for, I feel the need to check it out at some point. On one hand, there's dancing penguins. That cannot be stressed enough when talking about what the movie does right. Then there's the singing penguins. Also key, although, secondary to the dancing. That's 3/4s of the profit right there.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Depending on who you ask, this movie either subtly touches on a number of important themes or it beats you over the head with a clear agenda. Unsurprisingly, I fall in the latter category. Now, the story of Mumble not being accepted for his dancing until he finds group of Mexican caricature penguins who appreciate his dancing is, well, I guess standard lowest-common-denominator story-telling. That's already a fairly loaded topic for a movie that people are seeing because they want to see some dancing penguins. Then, they throw in a whole message about environmentalism that is...seriously, I read reviews of this that prominently complimented this for it subtlety and craft. How the fuck can anyone say that in earnest? Whatever! I hate agendas like this in kids movies because it's little more than indoctrination, which seems like cheating. All I signed up for was a movie with dancing penguins!

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment