Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February Preview

I was wrong about January being lean. A four movie weekend made sure of that. I'm off to a bad start showing restraint. I'll no longer pretend that "one movie a week" is a rule or goal. I've amended it to "at least one, more if the circumstances call for it".
February is looking incredibly top-heavy. The only locks are in the first week and I've barely even heard of some of the later movies. Sadly, I'm out of Oscar pictures to fill the time  so there's a good chance I'll see Pompeii for god's sake. Well, let's see what the month brings.

2014

2013

2/7
The Lock: The Lego Movie
I saw the preview for this months ago and I am completely on board. From the directors of 21 Jump Street and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (I can imagine the cross-section of those jokes for this). The voice cast is a checklist of people I want in a movie (Chris Pratt, Jonah Hill, Elizabeth Banks, Alison Brie, Cobie Smulders, Charlie Day, Will Ferrell, Nick Offerman. The list goes for miles). I've accepted the child-filled matinee I will see this in and don't care.
Odds I'll See It: 95%

The Other Lock: The Monuments Men
This was originally a Christmas release that got pushed out due to an already crowded and competitive season. I haven't heard anything about it being moved due to quality concerns. Obviously, it isn't seen as an Oscar contender given the release date but that's not to say I should assume it will be bad (It looks more like a Shutter Island kind of move from a couple years ago). Between George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Jean Dujardin, Cate Blanchett, and others, I lose count of the Oscars and nominations. It's looks like a less violent lighter spin on Inglourious Basterds. My only fear is that it will take itself too seriously.
Odds I'll See It: 80%

Other Options:
Vampire Academy - I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm seeing this. I think it's based on a book. It's about vampires and high school. Here's the X factor though: The writer wrote Heathers and the director directed Mean Girls. Yeah, this could be a surprise.
Odds I'll See It: 41%

2/14
The Lock:  None

Other Options:
About Last Night - Kevin Hart is doing everything he can to take advantage of his swell in popularity. I'm all for it and wish him well. This is from the writer of Bachelorette, which I liked for it's dialogue and characters but this is also a remake of a movie. That probably cancels each other out. I can wait for this on video.
Odds I'll See It: 23%

Is there ever a future where Detroit is a nice place to live?
Robocop - Look, I barely understand what made the original movie work. The people who made Dredd got lucky too. I have much lower hopes for this remake.
Odds I'll See It: 18%

Winter's Tale - The advertising for this has been everywhere weeks before its release and I couldn't tell you a thing about it. I don't think it's related to the Shakespeare play. I think Colin Farrell is traveling through time. Will Smith is apparently in it somewhere. Why are they keeping that so quiet in the previews? I should have a much better idea what this is by now. That I don't gives me great pause.
Odds I'll See It: 11%

Endless Love - They are remaking this? With whom? The Sue Snell from the Carrie remake and the new stripper from Magic Mike. That doesn't sound promising. Oof, and from the director of Country Strong. Pass!
Odds I'll See It: 2%

2/21
The Lock: None

Other Options:
The Wind Rises - Hayao Miyazaki is a filmmaker I want to get into more yet still haven't. I've seen Spirited Away and it was good. He has a long list of hits in Japan that make him the James Cameron of that place. I'd kind of like to see one of his movies in theaters and considering this is his final movie before retiring, I guess this is my last chance. I know nothing about the movie though. I believe it's a biography of some Japanese guy. Something to do with flying.
Odds I'll See It: 38%

Pompeii - You get the feeling that no one in the movie thought any further than "let's shoot a volcano eruption". I'm generally curious to see what the girl from Sucker Punch, Mr. Eko, and Trinity are up to. Not enough to give this action/romance, certain to be 3D hybrid a chance.
Odds I'll See It: 10%

This is the only image you can find for this movie
3 Days to Kill - So, this isn't Taken? Are we sure. Kevin Costner is some sort of special forces guy and he has an estranged daughter (played by Amber Heard, so that's a plus) and he gets pulled back in for an assignment that could save his life. Oh yeah, he's dying of something. Look, I know it isn't exactly like Taken, but it's generic enough not to care.
Odds I'll See It: 5%

2/28
The Lock: None again.

Other Options:


I'm sorry, but if you discover time travel, you go an win the Powerball.
Welcome to Yesterday - I like the found-footage style in general. I think it works best for horror, but I'm interested to see what else can be done with it. This time it is being used to tell the story of some teens who discover time travel. Time travel is always tough to pull off in a movie and first time directors and screenwriters are not the most reliable people in general. If it turns out this is good, I'm probably see it and eat it up.
Odds I'll See It: 27%

Non-Stop - Remember last week, when I made a joke about a movie not being Taken? This one has Liam Nesson in it, so it's an even harder clarification. The movie sounds more like a testosterone Red Eye than Taken. I can't help but notice Lupita Nyong'o in the cast list. That could be enough to get me seeing this. I'm curious if 12 Years a Slave is just a perfect role for her or if she has range.
Odds I'll See It: 10%

Son of God - Oh, lord almighty. Another one of these. I doubt we are looking at another Passion of the Christ. In fact, I'm pretty confident this'll be more along the lines of The Nativity Story. I assume this one will get high per-theater averages but hardly sets the box office ablaze. For now, I'm going to assume this won't be presenting an inventive spin on the story which gives me little reason to see the same story again.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

No comments:

Post a Comment