Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April Movie List


March has past and proven that I need to be more careful about the odds I give movies as one that I considered an absolute lock, Admission, has come and gone without me seeing it (although I blame March Madness as much as anything). Now it's time for April and a whole new batch of movies is on its way.
From the look of it, this will be a disappointing month with all the studios waiting for May to release anything big and impressive. There's a couple potential gems. Largely, however, I'm unimpressed.

4/5
The Lock: Evil Dead

I think this effectively sums up the difference
What is it: A remake of the of Bruce Campbell/Sam Rami classic (I can call it that, right?). It's looks like they've made some tweaks but it's basically some kids go to a cabin in the woods and awake some evil spirits. Mayhem and violence ensue.
Why: Sure, it's a remake that I don't think anyone was begging for, but the premise is generic enough to be revisited and I even if I only knew that Jane Levy is in it I would call it a strong cast.
Odds I'll See It: 80%

In Consideration:
Jurassic Park [3D] - I think we've all seen the original and I'm generally annoyed by 3D re-releases. I was too young to appreciate seeing Jurassic Park in theaters though, so I'd be excited  to see it again on the big screen. The only deterrent is that it's a one night only event and I am quite lazy.
Odds I'll See It: 40%

4/12
The Lock: 42
 I don't understand why they rotated this
What is it: A biopic telling the story of Jackie Robinson, you know, the guy who changed baseball.
Why: It has potential to be really good just because the actual story is pretty interesting. In all honestly though, I'm nearing my fill on integration and/or retro sports stories.
Odds I'll See It: 65%

In Consideration:
Oblivion - Tell me if you've heard this one. Sci-fi movie. Tom Cruise saves the world or something. That's actually a sub-genre I like a lot, but the fact the it's a mid-April release instead of a summer one forces me to wonder "What's wrong with it?".
Odd I'll See It: 60%

4/19
The Lock: None

In Consideration:
The Lords of Salem - Rob Zombie horror flicks are not generally my taste. I've heard ok things about this, but it's only being considered if one of the previous weeks movies comes back with horrendous reviews. Otherwise, this will be a catchup week.
Odds I'll See It: 5%

4/26
The Lock: Pain & Gain
 
I think the word "ridiculous" will be used a lot when talking about this
What is it: A Michael Bay movie about some body builders pulling a heist, based on actual events, staring Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg, and some other guys.
Why: Look. Michael Bay knows how to stage action. He gets credit for little else, which is fair, but the man has an eye for that one thing. I think he also is fine when he is able to keep things lighter and funnier. In short, based on the trailer alone, I think he is in his element with this movie.
Off I'll See It: 75%

In Consideration:
Mud - This is one of those Sundance movies that I noted to be on the lookout for. I hear Matthew MaConaughey continues his run of respectable roles and the fugitive on the run story has me curious.
Odds I'll See It: 15%

No comments:

Post a Comment