Thursday, April 4, 2013

DVR Purge 4/1-4/3

I'm really not sure what to make of a lot of what I saw the past couple days. The American's upped the stakes, Cougar Town evoked Scrubs, and Suburgatory had one of it's weirdest episodes.


 
The Mindy Project "My Cool Christian Boyfriend"
Look, I'm running out of ways to say it. The shows never works for me as a whole, but I like Mindy's voice so much that I always come away liking what I saw. This week is no exception. As someone raised Catholic, I could really appreciate Danny's abhorrence of the progressive Lutheran service. "Cool Christians" are a group ripe for some jokes (mean-spirited or otherwise). I loved that the resolution to the whole prison story was that Morgan actually does know what he is talking about sometimes.

Cougar Town "The Criminal Mind"
What if Cougar Town was done in the style of Scrubs? It's a cheap way to get some character epiphanies without working too hard, but it is a style that works really well, at least for me, as a viewer. Honestly, now I really want to watch some Scrubs.

The Middle "The Bachelor"
That has to be the sweetest use of Brick in some time. I was wondering why they had him so clearly sitting with Frankie as she watched the finale. I did rather hate how torn up she was over it. It was more sad than it was funny. I'm glad that Axl's relationship woes weren't solved by the standard "he is totally wrong and the girl is perfect" resolution that too many lazy TV show writers go to. Lastly, it's about time that Sue gets to win something. By that, I don't mean to complain that the show took too long to make this happen. They have been patient and methodical about Sue's constant setbacks, which allowed this to feel extremely triumphant despite being such small stakes. That it happened with Mike fully invested and in a perfectly "Sue" way made it all the better. And, was that the girl from The Guild that she was playing against?

Suburgatory "Decemberfold"
What just happened? I have never been so confused and intrigued by this show. The show has a history of not maintaining momentum, but it episode, specifically relating to Dalia setup layers of questions that I want answers too (Is she a lesbian? Does she have a crush on Daddy Altman? What is all this buddy-buddy stuff with Tessa for? How will Lisa fit into all this? Why is Jenna turned on by hearing that she goes to Brown?). As I said, I'm intrigued. The show is either about to really disappoint me or it's about to get into some casual-viewer isolating batshit crazy territory that I couldn't be happier with.

Modern Family "The Future Dunphys"
The 90s NBC comedy DNA has never been more apparent (hyperbole, but you get my point). I feel like I've seen this exact plot before with the Dunphys (it feels like Fraiser so much). The thing is, I got a kick out of it. Normally, it seems like I hate all the deliberate staging and timing involved to make this show "work" (god knows I complain about it enough). Truth is, I like it when it's well done and I thought this episode was pretty great about it. Everything from the future and past Dunphys to the dueling phone calls was classic multi-cam hijinks but so well done that I didn't care.
It also can't hurt to point out how much I liked the Tucker-Pritchett story and how little of it relied on Cam and Mitchell bickering. This was another great episode of them banding together (in this case, bound by how much they are failing to teach Lily her heritage). I got a major kick out of Mitchell continually saying the absolute wrong thing to her. By the time we reach them kicking themselves out of the restaurant, I was positively giddy with all the out-of-context miscommunications.
It's a rare week that the Jay story is the weak one. I didn't have a problem with anything they did with Jay and Manny this week, it just didn't make an impression when compared to the rest of the episode.

Nashville "I Saw the Light"
I don't think full examinations of episodes of Nashville will ever suit me, so let's go with random thoughts.
-So, that's how they plan to get Avery back in the mix...as a roadie. Interesting.
-I'm sorry, but when Rayna's daughters sang the sound check, I wanted to see a few people irritated by their entitlement.
-Speaking of their song, I don't follow much music, especially country. Have there been times before their song that they've used existing, more recent songs. I know there was some Johnny Cash, but that's older and was recognized for being Cash.
-Two episodes in a row of Juliette being stable. That's all I ask. Based on next week's preview though, it looks like uber-bitch Juliette is back.
-With Gunnar and Scarlett dating now, I'm officially bored with them. Please, please, please let this story get moving again and not immediately go to the inevitable jealous-Gunnar story that I know is coming (probably next week at the rate this show goes).
-When will they figure out that absolutely no one cares about the political stories? So far, all it's been is a waste of Robert Wisdom, Powers Boothe, and Kimberly Williams-Paisley.

The Americans "Safe House"
Is it just me or are they forcing it? I get the sense that this started with the decision to kill Amador and worked back from there. If nothing else, the fight that led to him getting stabbed was ridiculous. Why does he pull a knife out? Why doesn't Phillip start playing a character at that point and try to stop him? That just seemed to escalate way too fast. I'm also having trouble with Stan turning this into a personal vendetta. My understanding is that Stan is new to the department and he just met Amador when he started. Even if they became fast-friends, I don't see this level of passion behind Stan's manhunt. If it was a passion for the job itself then he'd've started off being part of the unofficial retaliation scheme. Stan selling the hell out of that hunting speech made the whole episode incredibly worth my time though, quibbles and confusion aside.



The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
3/13-3/15         3/16-3/19        3/20-3/26        3/27-3/31         

2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27



No comments:

Post a Comment